Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Cookies



My husband and I have a wonderful tradition. Every year we make cookies and use them for decoration on our Christmas tree. It's a really nice tradition since in the middle of all the commercialization and all the buying and consuming we take a few hours to make something from scratch. Together, as a family, we collaborate to make something beautiful.





The tradition started the year we got married. We were poor students and our budget was very tight. That year we bought a Christmas tree but decided we would wait another year before buying decorations. I insisted on putting up the tree even thought it would be bare. My husband - the sweetest man on earth, woke up in the middle of the night and decorated the tree with cookies I had baked and iced with a friend. He said they were so pretty he had to put them in the tree.



So ever since then, every year we make cookies. We invite our families and friends to help us ice them and we proudly display them on our tree.




And the best part is that when Christmas is over, we take them off the tree and eat them :) How much sweet is that?



To make the cookies i used a commercial roll of frozen gingerbread dough. I added I cup of flour per roll of dough mostly because i thought adding more flour would lessen the amount of unhealthy fat and sugar per serving. I am delusional, I know.
As for the icing, i made Wilton's Royal icing recipe. I find their Royal Icing recipe to be very reliable. Easy to make and easy to work with. Just make sure you do beat the ingredients for the required 7-12 minutes (depending on the type of your mixer). It really makes a huge difference.

And if you have a toddler like me, make sure here's doesn't go behind your back and eat all of your decorations off the tree.
My son is a little bit too young to understand what Christmas is all about. But, he does understand that something special is going on. Every morning he points to the tree and says the word pretty. I hope that when he grows older this little family tradition will be something special that ties him to me and his dad.


No comments: